Detached and Timeless @ Royal Albert Memorial

RAMM 

Contemporary artists inspired by nature and spirit of place.
12th July - 2 November
On the 13th of September I visited the Royal Albert Memorial Museum's exhibition "Detached and Timeless" which featured many of britain's leading contemporary artists who deal with concepts such as nature and the spirit in places. Among many of the great artists whose work was on display was Richard Long, Patrik Heron, Roger Hilton and David Bomberg. 

I adored the variation in style and approach to the subject at this exhibition. There was a large mix of media which included film, sculpture, painting, drawing and sculpture. Although the styles and approaches to the subject varied I could not help but notice a uniformity in the underlying emotion of the work in the exhibit. This statement is not based on the fact that the majority of work was rather monochromatic but rather that there seemed to be one intention and desire, carried out in a variety of ways. I would argue that this statement does not contradict my previous statement on the variation of style and approach to the subject or the point I am to make later on how intimate the exhibition was, as although each artist's character was evident in each piece I found there to be a rather charming harmonious quality to the all the work.

As I mentioned earlier, I found the exhibition very personal and intimate, the paintings truly acted as notes or moments in the artist's experience of the landscape they were in. Using the highly diverse language of contemporary art to express senses and experiences proved very successful in these cases as I came away from the exhibition inspired and thrilled.

Photos by Sophie Lawrence // www.instagram.com/sophfeegee




Unknown