ART IN THE PARK @ Victoria Park OCT 2014



The banner I designed for the festival!
Post by Art In The Park.


The 13 meters of bunting I put together the night before the festival.


I had spontaneously decided to make 14 metres of bunting the day before the festival, which proved to be a good move! The mud hand prints on Kaliko was a great effect and tied in nicely with Richard Long's work as he also uses hand prints. I overheard a few people complimenting the bunting over the course of the day.




One month or so before the festival date I had the poster I designed approved of by the Tate Modern / Artist Rooms and so the Youth Collective had around 150 printed which we distributed. We advertised the festival using posters, flyers and social networking sites. This proved to be very successful as we had around 200 people turn up at ART IN THE PARK on the day! This number is a great turn out for a reasonably small area such as Bideford, especially seeing as Halloween and The Big Draw events were also taking place on the same day in local areas.

We had multiple talented, local artists working with us on the day, this list included; Greg Humpries, Andy White, Jo Bushell, Jennie Dodd and Pete Ward. To see how each one responded to the task of creating a Richard Long inspired workshop see our Facebook Photo album with all the finished pieces made by the artists.

I was in charge of making the T-shirts that the artists and youth collective were due to wear on the day of the festival. They were very easy to make, I was able to make 15 very cheaply using transfers and white T-shirts. I especially liked how Pete Ward's looked by the end of the day!

The banner I designed for the festival was also a success, In all honesty I was rather nervous of taking on such a professional task as I had never done such large (3 foot by 9 foot) graphic design work before, but once printed on canvas it looked very professional and on point!

It was such a privilege to be involved with organising such a fantastic event. I chose and booked a few of the artists and was in charge of 'managing' them on the day. Doing little things such as designing and writing the programme and poster was also very enjoyable. I really enjoyed having the thrill of seeing my hard work pay off through all the festival attendees enjoying themselves and taking part. I will definitely be organising smaller art related events in the near future as I feel this is definitely something I am fully capable of doing well.


Unknown