Henri Matisse: The Cut Outs @ TATE Modern


TATE

I was given a fantastic opportunity to see the Matisse: Cut-Outs exhibition at the Tate Modern in July 2014. It was most definitely my favourite exhibition I saw last year, the vibrant colours and overwhelming quality of Matisse's latter work were incredible. 

I must confess I almost cried when I saw a certain painting hanging on the sterile, white walls of the gallery, it was one that I had admired for a while and had been constantly looking at in various books (oblivious to the fact I would be seeing it at the Cut Out exhibition in under a month). The painting, Red Interior: Still life on a Blue Table, gave me such a shock (the size, colour, brushstrokes etc.) that I felt quite overwhelmed for the rest of the day. I found an interesting word to describe this relationship I have with certain works of art; aesthetes or 'a person who has or affects to have a special appreciation of art and beauty'. Most definitely!

(Photo by Independent)

Unknown