International Exchanges: Modern Art and St Ives @ TATE St. Ives

Well, here it is; the much delayed contemplation of International Exchanges: Modern Art and St Ives.



I was not able to take any photos at this exhibition, however, even a couple of months on from seeing it, I can still visualise certain works I saw on the day including Mark Rothko's Untitled 1950 (yellow), Jackson Pollock's 23 and several works by St Ives based artists such as Wallace, Hepworth etc. In my ignorance I was surprised at how many of the most well known figures of the Modern Art movement visited St Ives in their lifetime or were inspired by the St Ives artists in some way or another. It was wonderful to see such a large variety of styles and work together in this exhibition. I had visited Tate St Ives before, however, this time (with my new found love of everything art) I went away ecstatic and inspired. Truly, St Ives is a beautiful town, I would have loved to have visited it in the first days of Hepworth's move there when it was still an ungentrified fishing village!


I encourage you to watch Cambridge Art Historian Dr. James Fox's documentary The Art of Cornwall where he talks about St Ives and it's international impact on the art world.

Unknown