"Black is a property, not a quality" Bideford Black | Abbotsham, UK

Check out my Steller Story on Bideford Black to see the full story!



 “Black is a property, not a quality. In terms of weight, black is heavier, creates a larger volume, holds itself in a more compressed field. […] Since black is the densest color material, it absorbs and dissipates light to a maximum and thereby changes the artificial as well as the natural light in a given room. A black shape can hold its space and place in relation to a larger volume and alter the mass of that volume readily.”
-
Richard Serra
I am really excited at this personal project using local pigments as it is something that is emerging as a natural progression from past experiences and projects. It does not feel forced or contrived in any way, if anything it feels like an adventure. I'm genuinely excited!

I am looking forward to having this personal reflection on land art and soil culture. I also see this as hands-on, history of art, pigment research sort of expedition. I'm hoping to experiment with different techniques and mediums used over the years to create paint.

After sifting it multiple times I mixed the pigment with water and poured it out onto a metre squared tarpaulin to dry in the devonshire sun

The different stages my Bideford Black went through (in no particular order as that would require organisational skills of which I have none)

The pigment; sifted and dried!

My Bideford Black dress which debuted at Pete Ward and Francesca Owen's "painting together" Private View at the White Moose Gallery, Barnstaple.


Featured on Steller!




Unknown